|Iowa Adoption Laws page #8 of 8|
Who May Access Information
Citation: Ann. Stat. § 144.43A
The following persons may register with the mutual consent voluntary adoption registry:
• The adult adopted person.
• An adult sibling.
• The birth parents.
Access to Nonidentifying Information
Citation: Ann. Stat. § 600.16
Any information compiled relating to medical history, medical and developmental histories, and social history of the person to be adopted shall be made available at any time by the clerk of court, the department, or any agency that made the placement to:
• The adopting parents.
• The adopted person who is age 21 or older.
• Any person approved by the department if the person uses this information solely for the purposes of conducting a legitimate medical research project or of treating a patient in a medical facility.
• A descendant of an adopted person The identity of the adopted person’s birth parents shall not be disclosed.
Mutual Access to Identifying Information
Citation: Ann. Stat. § 144.43A
If all of the following conditions are met, the State registrar shall reveal the identity of the birth parent to the adult adopted child or the identity of the adult adopted child to the birth parent, shall notify the parties that the requests have been matched, and shall disclose the identifying information to those parties:
• A birth parent has filed a request and provided consent to the disclosure of his or her identity to the adult adopted child, upon request of the adult adopted child.
• An adult adopted child has filed a request and provided consent to the disclosure of his or her identity to a birth parent, upon request of the birth parent.
• The State registrar has been provided sufficient information to make the requested match. If the adult adopted person has a sibling who is a minor and who has also been adopted, the request will be denied. If the following conditions are met, the State registrar shall reveal the identity of the adult adopted child to an adult sibling:
• An adult adopted child has filed a request and provided consent to the disclosure of his or her identity to an adult sibling.
• The adult sibling has filed a request and provided consent to the revelation of his or her identity to the adult adopted child.
• The State registrar has been provided with sufficient information to make the requested match.
A person who has filed a request or provided consent may withdraw the consent at any time prior to the release of any information by filing a written withdrawal of consent statement with the Sate registrar. The adult adopted person, adult sibling, and birth parent shall notify the State registrar of any change in the information contained in a filed request or consent.
Access to Original Birth Certificate
Citation: Ann. Stat. § 144.24
The original birth certificate may not be inspected except under order of a court. The State registrar shall, upon the application of an adult adopted person, a birth parent, an adoptive parent, or the legal representative of the any of the former, inspect the original birth certificate and reveal to the applicant the date of the adoption and the name and address of the court that issued the adoption decree.
Where the Information Can Be Located:
Iowa Department of Public Health
Bureau of Vital Records
Adoption Registry Program
Lucas State Office Building, 1st Floor
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0075
Iowa Mutual Consent Voluntary Adoption Registry
Iowa Vital Records Information
Iowa Department of Human Services
This material may be freely reproduced and distributed. However, when doing so, please credit Child Welfare Information
Gateway. Available online at www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/infoaccessap.cfm.
Please mention you saw us on the internet!
To Register Go Here
Caution: Any attempt by any individual to deliberately damage this website may be a violation
of criminal Or civil laws and should such an attempt be made. We reserve the right to seek damages
(Including attorney's fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution
Top 10 Search Engines